A Call for Art in TUSDM’s new Gallery
Gallery One is a physical gallery located on the 15th floor near the new elevator AND a Virtual 3D online gallery. Gallery One was created to help remind all of us at TUSDM that we are more than our dental pursuits or our jobs. It was conceived as a space to share the parts of ourselves that often go unnoticed in our bustling TUSDM community.
As students, it is easy to lose ourselves in the pursuit of our career, our identity revolving around academic achievements in dentistry. And yet, we are so much more than the color of scrubs or the name of our group practice.
As staff and faculty, it is easy to be seen as just workers and not as people with many additional interests, commitments, and goals. We have many characteristics woven into a rich tapestry that help define who we are.
As a community, whether it’s through gender, culture, ethnicity, values, or hobbies, these experiences are molded together to create our unique identity.
Show Theme: IDENTITY
Whether you are a photographer, painter, someone who plays with collage, etc., we invite you to share yourself and your art.
TUSDM’s Gallery One invites submissions that relate to the theme of IDENTITY.
Deadline for submissions: January 20, 2023
Quotes and prompts for Inspiration
- “Identity cannot be found or fabricated but emerges from within when one has the courage to let go.”
- “It’s our roots that really give us our first identity and we change and grow from there.”
- Who are you and where does your sense of identity come from?
- What part of your identity is the most important to you?
- What parts of your identity do you choose for yourself?
- What parts of your identity are determined for you by other people or by society?
The images can be something you just created or something from years ago. … if it is authentic to who you are, we welcome the submission.
Selection of Art
The Gallery One team will select pieces for both the online virtual show. as well as a smaller number will be chosen and hung on the 15th floor Gallery from February – May 2023.
- Falls under the theme of IDENTITY
- 2-D art (such as paintings, drawings, digital art, photography, graphic design, etc.)
- Images and artwork can be representational or abstract.
- Can be in black-and-white or color
- Original work should be No larger than 18 X 24 inches if you want it in the live gallery. (Virtual gallery can be any size.)
- Participants may submit up to two pieces for consideration.
- If selected to be on the 15th floor Gallery Wall, your art must be ready for hanging.
Submitting art jpegs:
- Attach entry as a jpeg (at 900 to 1500 pixels) on the longest side. (Sizing questions? Contact Dominique.Vickers@tufts.edu)
- Please submit your work through this Google submission form: https://forms.gle/U6on6mXjfPmQxk7a6 **Please note that the form requires you to log in to a Google email account so that you may upload images of your art.
January 20, 2023: Art Jpegs due: Send in using this form: https://forms.gle/U6on6mXjfPmQxk7a6
January 30, 2023: Announcement of acceptance for art work for both physical gallery and online gallery
February 7, 2023: Art drop off for work going into 15th floor Gallery
March 2023: Live and Virtual Receptions TBA
Questions? Please feel free to reach out to email@example.com
Gallery One Team
Nancy Marks, Public Health and Community Service
Dainya Hannan—Student Affairs
D23: Bijal Amin and Gigi Cusumano
D24: Kia-Symone Surrell
D25: Jeff Murat and Takara Richard
D26: Dominique Vickers
Thank you for participating!
We can’t wait to see your work!