This November, Tufts’ Cherish Chinatown has organized a challenge for the university community. The goal? Support small businesses in Boston’s Chinatown, the vibrant and diverse home of our Health Sciences Campus. Like all Chinatowns across the US, Boston’s Chinatown has been negatively impacted by the combined effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and anti-Asian sentiment. Many Asian-owned restaurants have been forced to close their doors permanently. As neighbors and friends of Chinatown, we want to show up for our neighborhood. To this end, we are hosting a fun and delicious month-long event: the Cherish Chinatown Challenge.
How It Works
- Tufts University students, faculty, and staff members order from local Chinatown restaurants during the month of November. Dine-in or place an order for take-out/delivery.
- For every purchase you make at a small business in Chinatown, you will be eligible for a raffle entry.
- To enter the raffle, complete this short form each time you make a purchase. There is no limit to how many times you may enter, as long as you are logging new purchases.
- Five winners will be drawn each Monday and receive $25 gift cards to local restaurants. Winners will be notified via email to claim their prize.
- To sweeten the challenge, all participants will be automatically eligible for the grand prize, a $200 meal (takeout or in-person) for you and friends from a restaurant of choice in Boston’s Chinatown.*
- The more times you fill out this form, the more times you will be entered into the virtual raffle. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need inspiration on where to go? Check out the We Love Boston Chinatown website.
- Looking for even more ways to help? Post about your visit on social media and tag @TuftsCommunity. Invite friends and colleagues to enjoy the challenge with you!
Looking for more chances to win and learn about the rich history and culture of Boston’s Chinatown? Receive one additional raffle entry by answering our Chinatown Atlas Scavenger Hunt question each week. Click here for this week’s question!
Raffle Drawing Dates
- November 8th
- November 15th
- November 22nd
- December 1st (includes entries from November 1st to November 30th and the GRAND PRIZE DRAWING!)
Cherish Chinatown is a Tufts University initiative that was started in spring 2021 by dental and medical students with support from the office of Government and Community Relations and Tisch College. The aim is to (1) educate Tufts students and employees about the history and cultural importance of Boston’s Chinatown and to (2) organize community engagement opportunities that support Chinatown residents, small businesses, and non-profit organizations in conjunction with Chinatown leaders.
- Lindsey Bell, M24
- Ashley Jin, A24 and Tisch Scholar at the Pao Arts Center
- Yan Lin, D23
- Vaughan Skinker, M24
- Maya Sunar, D24
- Venus Tran, D24
- Esther Yi, D25
- Leah Boudreau, Community Program Specialist, Government and Community Relations
- Jennifer Greer-Morrissey, Civic Life Manager, Health Sciences, Tisch College of Civic Life
- Marc Maggiore, Staff Assistant, Government and Community Relations
- Shirley Mark, Director of Community Partnerships, Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life
- Nancy Marks, Tisch/TUSDM Community Service Program Coordinator, School of Dental Medicine
- Liza Perry, Deputy Director, Government and Community Relations