A Deep Dive into the Connections Between Oral and Behavioral Health”
- Families USA and Mental Health America discuss the interaction between oral and mental health and its consequences, showing the many barriers to good oral health experienced by this population.
- For people with mental health conditions and substance use disorders, good oral health is especially important.
- However, with all the medications being prescribed, they often cause dry mouth, which may result in painful swelling and stomatitis, thrush, and hypersalivation, further exacerbating oral health problems.
- The CDC estimates that over a lifetime, close to 50% of Americans will be affected by some type of behavioral health issue.
- With such large numbers, it is time to start pursuing policies that integrates mental health and oral health into the conversation.
For more information, see the attached fact sheet by Families USA.