The ABCD Chinese Church Head Start program is currently looking for Mandarin or Cantonese speaking students to participate in an oral health education program! More information on the project can be found here. Any student who is interested can email Risha De Leon at Risha.De_Leon@tufts.edu.
Dental Central would like to welcome the TUSDM class of 2019! Dental Central will be your one-stop destination for everything student organization and community outreach related here at Tufts!
Some Dental Central Facts For You:
- Dental Central was launched in September of 2014
- We have over 20 student organization represented on the site!
- Since launching, we have had over 10,000 page views!
- We have posted 91 stories and spotlights on TUSDM students making a difference in the community!
- Over 300 photos of public health and community service outreach events have been posted to the site!
While you’re here, you can:
- Post an event to our Dental Central Event Calendar!
- Check out different student organizations that you can join!
- Order supplies like tooth brushes and tooth paste at events
- Learn about our school’s Global Outreach Programs, including trips to the Dominican Republic and Zambia!
To Join Us:
- Check out your Tufts email every week to see what events are coming up in the week!
- Email us at email@example.com with any questions!
- Coming soon… Dental Central on Facebook!
- If you think you’d like to get involved working with the Dental Central team, check out our “About” Page and email Nancy Marks for more details!
Healthy Bodies Healthy Teeth team members Mia Harlan (D16), Amelia Albright (D16), Sibel Arditi (D16), Nick Stefanski (D16), Lauren Vargas (D17), and Tracy Tchintchin (D18) went to the YMCA for three sessions over three consecutive weeks with a group of students aged 8-12. Week one they started a game of dental jeopardy with questions regarding healthy habits, healthy foods and how decay forms. Week two they finished the jeopardy game and then played dental jenga. When a jenga piece was taken out of the tower, it had a dental related question typed onto it and the student read and answered the question. Week three was the art project session. After a short review on healthy foods and understanding why and when to brush, the students drew pictures of either healthy or unhealthy foods. They presented their pictures to the rest of the group and each student left with an art kit to use at home.
Check out some quotes from the Healthy Bodies Healthy Teeth team members Lauren and Tracy, who worked with the younger ager group, below!
Each year TUSDM students join the Mission Hill Fair to provide dental education
for this under-served community. We are looking for 4 students to host our table from for approximately 11-3 (split shifts are fine!). And this year, students will have a range of new activities and games to use, thanks to the TUSDM creative team! To sign up, email Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the Weston Emergency Reserve Corps have reached out to TUSDM in need of dental students! They are looking for a student organization or severel students to help take impressions for their Childhood Identification Program (CHIPS). The event will take place May 2nd, 2015 in Weston, MA. It would be great if a TUSDM student group could coordinate these efforts! If interested, please contact Nancy Marks at Nancy.Marks@tufts.edu.
On Jan 12, 2015 the Tufts HPSP student organization had a Navy sponsored luncheon in which LCDR Jerod Geller (D07) returned to Tufts to discuss his experiences as a Naval dental officer. The Tufts HPSP student organization also heard from one of the recipients of the Drive For the Troops packages sent out last November. Capt. Jake Powell (assigned to Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar) sent his thanks along with a photo. Dr. Rankin and the rest of HPSP thank everyone who contributed to the Drive!